Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

University of the West of Scotland London Campus

University of the West of Scotland

London Campus 

The Disability Service at UWS provides information, advice and guidance to students with a disability, long-standing medical condition or specific learning difficulty e.g. dyslexia.  We can arrange support for lectures, individual study and assessments.  We work in partnership to develop a plan that ensures support appropriate to your needs is applied across all university activities, giving you equality of opportunity. Support is flexible and can be adapted to the changing demands of your course of study

Contact Us

Disability and mental health support: Ruth Leith 

Tel: +44 (0)141 848 3047
Email: info.london@uws.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Campus tours

icon Pre-entry transition programme or equivalent support

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Students can be referred to an Educational Psychologist.  There may be funding available to cover all or part of the cost of this.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

There are qualified  and experienced Disability Advisers available to talk with students.  All students who declare a disability will be contacted and may request an appointment with a Disability Adviser.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

Every student is allocated a Personal Tutor, Research Supervisor or other named member of staff.  This person will provide academic, pastoral and devlopmental support and guidance to students throughout their studies.  All students should have contact with their Personal Tutor/Supervisor at least once per trimester to take an overview of module selections and provide ongoing support to help set realistic and achievable goals and development targets.

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The university has a buddy project to assist new students settle into University life, offering informal and friendly support to all new students.  Student Services provide a counselling service for students.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

The university has a buddy project to assist new students settle into University life, offering informal and friendly support to all new students.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

There are no halls of residence at the UWS London Campus

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions? 

Both one to one and group sessions are available via the Effective Learning Service.  Working with Learning Innovation, the Effective Learning Team provides academic advice, guidance and resources to help students to develop and enhance the skills they will need during their time at University and beyond.