Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

University of Roehampton

University of Roehampton

The Disability and Dyslexia Services offer a range of specialist support to ensure students are able to achieve their full potential. Advice, support and guidance is available to support a range of disabilities, including Autistic Spectrum conditions, mental health and long term health conditions and for students with specific learning differences such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and ADHD. Appointments, drop in times, screening sessions and Disabled Students’ Allowances support is available.

Contact Us

Disability and Dyslexia Services

Tel:+44 (0)208 392 3636    Disability Service
Tel:+44 (0)208 392 3860    Dyslexia Service

Email: disabilities@roehampton.ac.uk      

Email: dyslexia@roehampton.ac.uk 


More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Pre-entry transition programme or equivalent support

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Disability Services has a team of Specialist Assessors and Educational Psychologists who work onsite and carry out diagnostic assessments.  Students are supported to apply for funding to cover most of the cost of the assessment via our Student Hardship Fund.  More information about this can be found via the following web address:   http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Disability-Services/Access-support/#SpLD

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Disability Services is made up of a team of specialist staff, including a Disability Adviser and Dyslexia Coordinator.  Students are encouraged to make contact either by attending a weekly drop in session or by requesting an appointment via an online form, by phoning , or by dropping into the office.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

Each department has a Departmental Disabilities Coordinator who works closely with Disability Services to ensure that any recommended reasonable adjustments are in place and effective for disabled students.  Students’ needs are communicated to the DDC and department via a summary of adjustments (SoA).  This is also shared with the student and they are advised to make contact with their DDC to discuss.

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Specialist mentoring is available where this has been recommended in the needs assessment, and additional campus or practical support is provided by on campus Learning Support Assistants.  Disability Services works closely with the Wellbeing team, who offer support via Student Welfare Officers and have an onsite counselling service.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University?

Roehampton Students’ Union (RSU) has a society for disabled students: SWAN (Society for Students with Alternative Needs).  The society enables students to make contact with other disabled students and ask any questions they may have.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?


One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

We can provide support with arranging One to One and Group study skills sessions.