Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

University of East London


Disability and mental health support


Contact Us

Disability support: Disability & Dyslexia Team

Tel/Textphone: +44 (0)20 8223 4440
Email: ddac@uel.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus / Docklands

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?


Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

We have 3 FTE Disability Advisors, a Senior Disability Advisor and a Mental Health Co-ordinator, as well as a Services Manager

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

All students are assigned a Personal Tutor who can sign post them to a variety of academic and non-academic support

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

We have a Health and Wellbeing Team in which the Counselling service resides along with the campus Nurse.   We also have a buddy scheme to assist new students in the transition in to higher education.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Yes; although this is limited so early application is advisable.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

We can provide support with arranging One to One and Group study skills sessions.