Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

St Mary’s University, Twickenham London

St Mary’s University, Twickenham London 

The Student Wellbeing Service forms part of Student Services at St Mary’s University. We welcome any student and offer confidential help and advice, whether this is regarding an issue that can be resolved quickly, or requires more ongoing assistance. This may include individual counselling and group workshops.

We also provide dedicated support for students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues. We recommend reasonable adjustments, offer assistance with all aspects of applying for the Disabled Students Allowance and provide additional individual support such as tutoring and mentoring.

Contact Us

Student Wellbeing Service (Disability & Dyslexia)

Tel: +44 (0)20 8240 4353
Email: Disability&dyslexia@stmarys.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Pre-entry transition programme or equivalent support

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

We ask for £100 contribution and subsidise the remainder (£250).  We may offer assessments to applicants who can then be refunded up to £250 after enrolment.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

There are two Wellbeing & Disability Advisors, an Assistive Technology Advisor & Trainer, two Specialist Study Skills Tutors and a Specialist Mentor within the Disability & Dyslexia section of the Student Wellbeing Service.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

All new students are allocated a personal tutor.   Joint meetings with academic staff and disability support staff can be arranged or information is shared with the student’s consent.

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The Student Wellbeing Service offers confidential counselling for all students.  Mentoring and study buddies are usually provided through DSA, although we aim to support all students in a variety of ways. This may include group workshops and providing assistive technology solutions.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

There is a support/social group for all students who find communicating/socialising with others challenging called No Ordinary Society.  This is predominantly made up of students registered with the Student Wellbeing Service (Disability and Dyslexia).


Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Adaptable accommodation is available and specialist equipment is considered on a case-by-case basis.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions? 

We can provide support with arranging One to One and Group study skills sessions.