Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

SOAS University of London

SOAS University of London

We provide specialist guidance and support for disabled students at SOAS. We can advise on the facilities that are available to you and help to ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to make SOAS accessible. We use the feedback we get from students about what works and what doesn’t to inform the more strategic parts of our role, eg the creation of policy and working with other staff members to make SOAS as accessible as possible.


Contact Us

Disability and Dyslexia Service:

Tel: +44 (0)20 7074 5015
Email: disabilities@soas.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Subject to SpLD screening or evidence of a childhood SpLD, a student can be referred to an educational psychologist through the university.  SOAS will cover costs up to £200 for students we have referred to a psychologist.  If students are unable to pay the remainder because they are in hardship they can apply to SOAS for full funding through the Access to Learning/Hardship funds.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Health and Well being advisor: Sachiko Kishi.  All staff can be contacted via studentadviceandwellbeing@soas.ac.uk or 020 7074 5015

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

SOAS operates an academic personal advisor system system https://www.soas.ac.uk/my-studies/advisors/ and for queries reagrding this support you would go to your student faculty officer https://www.soas.ac.uk/academic/  Generic study support is available on https://www.soas.ac.uk/ltd/studyskills/

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Student advice and wellbeing has a counselling service.  For more information please visit: https://www.soas.ac.uk/counselling/   For information on SU peer support and support groups  please see http://soasunion.org/welfare/peersupport/   For information on the new student scheme see http://www.soas.ac.uk/welcome/soas-new-students-scheme/.  Students are encouraged to attend drop in sessions with either the mental health and well being advisor or the disability advisor in the first instance to discuss their requirements.  Regular mentoring support is subject to funding limitations.  For more information please see the following web address: https://www.soas.ac.uk/disability/

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

Please find further information about SU peer support and support groups using the following web address:   http://soasunion.org/welfare/peersupport/   For information on the new student scheme  http://www.soas.ac.uk/welcome/soas-new-students-scheme/

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

For information on adapted accommodation halls of residence please use the following web address:  https://www.soas.ac.uk/students/accommodation/

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

Students are encouraged to attend drop in sessions with the Learning Advisor and attend group workshops in the first instance and further assistance via one to one support can be requested.  Regular SpLD one to one support is subject to funding limitations.  For more information please see the following web address: https://www.soas.ac.uk/disability/