Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

Royal College of Music


Disability and mental health support

‘ The Royal College of Music recruits students on the basis of their musical abilities and potential, and we aim to support students with disabilities to realise their potential, from audition to graduation. Over the years we have developed particular expertise in supporting musicians with Specific Learning Difficulties and visual impairment, as well as those with mental and physical health conditions. We welcome enquiries form the pre-application stage onwards, to discuss how we can support you to get the most out of your studies here.’

Contact Us

Student Services: Student Services Manager

Tel: +44 (0)207 591 4316
Email: studentservices@rcm.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Students are referred to the Dyslexia Assessment and Consultancy, for which funding is available

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Applicants can talk to the Student Services Manager in confidence.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

Students each have a Personal Adviser, plus further tutorial support is available from seminar leaders, area leaders and heads of programmes, as appropriate.  Principal Study Professors are normally first port of call for PS issues, plus the individual Head of Faculty.

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

A buddy or mentor can be arranged if required.  Student counselling services are also available.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

We do not currently have a specialist support group or disabled student network available

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Adapted accommodation is available in halls of residence.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging one to one and group study skills sessions ?

We can provide support with arranging one-to one study skills support.