Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

Rose Bruford College


Disability and mental health support

Rose Bruford college welcomes applications from disabled students and about a third of our students declare a disability with the largest proportion of students disclosing a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.We have a disability adviser available who can provide support with any disability related queries including support with applications for Disabled Students Allowance and liaison with course staff about reasonable adjustments.  We also provide study support and have some networked assistive software, laptops and digital recorders available for loan in our Learning Resources Centre.

Contact Us

Student Services

Tel: +44 (0)20 8308 2623
Email: student@bruford.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Students can be referred for a Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University.  Limited funding is available and this is reviewed annually.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

There is a disability adviser and a dyslexia adviser.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

Specific advice is accessed through student support.  If appropriate, meetings are set up with students, staff from Student Services and academic staff

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

We have a counselling service and we have set up a mental health ambassadors scheme which is run by the Student Union.  The information can be found on the Student Union Facebook page and currently say “The Mental Health Ambassadors are buddies to the Rose Bruford students. They are there to act as a friend and a listening ear but they are not trained counsellors. If you require a counsellor please see a member of Student Services. This page is for the Mental Health Ambassadors to post helpful tips, links and images.”

We don’t directly employ one to one tutors or mentors but use agencies for this service.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University?

We do not currently have a specialist support group or disabled student network available.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

The halls of residence are generally accessible but requests for specialist equipment will be looked at on an individual basis.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

Students would be given help with trying to arrange any support that they needed