Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

Queen Mary University of London

Queen Mary University of London

Queen Mary University of London’s Disability and Dyslexia Service offer advice, support and guidance for all students with specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia), disabilities and mental health issues for the point of application through to graduation.

We take the university’s employability remit very seriously and our aim is to equip disabled students with the tools to ensure that they can study independently at a level commensurate with their underlying ability and provide them with the best quality support.


Disability Service:


Contact Us

Disability and Dyslexia Service

Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 2756
Email: dds@qmul.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Yes.  We pay for 100% of the cost of SpLD diagnostic assessments for both home and international students though we can only do this once students have formally enrolled.  Students must use our preferred supplier if they want their assessment paid for by the university.   

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Yes we have a team of five specialist advisers in our service (three Disability Advisers, a Mental Health Adviser and a Mental Health Co-ordinator). We also have a dedicated team of specialist tutors and Non-Specialist Human Support Workers, e.g. note-takers.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

There is a named disability contact in each School; these are usually Student Support Officers and they act as a point of contact for our service in terms of communicating details of students’ support, e.g. reasonable adjustments

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The Disability and Dyslexia Service offers on-site one-to- one specialist mentoring support for students with mental health issues and conditions on the autistic spectrum This aspect of the service is managed by the Mental Health Co-ordinator. For students on the autistic spectrum we offer support from our own staff with specialist knowledge in this area. We also work closely with the National Autistic Society’s Prospects Student Support Service.

The university can also offer students access to the Peer Assisted Study Support (PASS) scheme. PASS is a course-based mentoring scheme, run for students by students. It gives first-years the opportunity to discuss study-related problems and get general advice from higher-year undergraduates in their subject.

The University’s Advice and Counselling service offers welfare advice to all students on a range of financial and other issues, including visas, finances and mental health, as well as counselling.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

We run a Peer Support Group for students on the autistic spectrum, offering them the chance to meet with colleagues from across the university.  The meetings are deliberately open in the structure with students setting the agenda.  The common aim is for discussion about experiences of university life with the chance to listen and share advice.  If students wish, we also arrange for question and answer sessions from other services (e.g. Careers, Library and Advice and Counselling)

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

If you have a disability, substantially affecting your mobility, vision, hearing or stamina, you will be given priority with on-campus accommodation.  Priority accommodation may not be available for Clearing applicants because of high demand.  A small amount of campus accommodation is adapted for wheel chair users or those who require personal assistance (i.e. 24 hour care). If you would like to come and view the rooms before application please contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service dds@qmul.ac.uk

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions? 

Yes we can offer both specialist study skills for students with SpLDs or generic study skills.  Generic study skills are offered through Learning Development.