Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

Kingston University London

Kingston University London

We provide support for students who have a disability, Specific Learning Difference, long-term physical or mental health condition.  Support for your studies varies depending on individual circumstances.

This support could include:

  • Guidance for applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
  • Library support such as extended loans and alternative formats
  • Access to assistive technology
  • Specific teaching and learning recommendations
  • Examination adjustments e.g. extra time or a smaller room
  • Placement support recommendations
  • Non-medical helper support eg note taking or dyslexia tutoring
  • Parking permits.
Contact Us

Support : Disability and Mental Health Advisors at Student Life Centre

Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7314
Fax: +44 (0)20 8417 7561
Email: disability@kingston.ac.uk

Details of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

1469579259_common-login-enter-signin-glyph Accessible learning spaces

1469579026_architecture-interior-01  Adapted accommodation

1469823957_houses Campus tours

1469824029_book-write Pre-entry transition programme or equivalent support

1469578439_Wheelchair_Accessible Specialist knowledge in disability service

1469578469_Searchicons-search-people2 Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

1469578464_SEO_usability_audit_search_ Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

We will refer students for a Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist.  Currently there is funding for enrolled students to apply for.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

There is a team of 6 advisors, 2 specialising in mental health and 4 specialising in disabilities and specific learning differences.  We run daily-drop ins at the Student Life Centre and a drop-in 4 times a week at the Kingston Hill campus.

Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

We have contacts in each Faculty who are responsible for disseminating information about support requirements to the academic staff.


One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

If a student has applied for DSA or if they are not eligible to apply but require the support, specialist mentoring can be set up.  There is also a student academic mentoring programme, which is run by the Student Engagement Team and open to all students.   We can also set up students who require a buddy during the transition period at the beginning of the year, this may then develop into ongoing support such as library assistance and campus assistance.  There is a Disabled Students Network at Kingston University.  We also have the university Wellbeing service which delivers counselling and wellbeing services to all students throughout the university who may need it.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

There is a Disabled Students Network at Kingston University which is run by the Disability/Mental Health advisors with support from the students.  We also have the university Wellbeing service which delivers counselling and wellbeing services to all students throughout the university who may need it.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

We have some specially adapted rooms (for both visually impaired and mobility impaired students) and mobile equipment such as vibrating pillows to support Deaf/Hearing Impaired students.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

We can provide support with arranging One to One and Group study skills sessions.