Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

King’s College London 

King’s College London

The Disability Advisory Service offers information, advice and guidance to current and prospective disabled students about support that may help them to engage with their studies.

If you would like to know more about possible support options, we will be happy to advise you and if helpful, arrange an information visit to the university so you can meet with relevant staff and have the opportunity to raise any concerns you may have about studying.

Contact Us

Disability Advisory Service :

Tel: +44 (0)207 848 7018
Email: disability@kcl.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

1469579259_common-login-enter-signin-glyph Accessible learning spaces

1469579026_architecture-interior-01  Adapted accommodation

1469823957_houses Campus tours

1469824029_book-write Pre-entry transition programme or equivalent support

1469578439_Wheelchair_Accessible Specialist knowledge in disability service

1469578469_Searchicons-search-people2 Specialist groups or disabled students’ network

1469578464_SEO_usability_audit_search_ Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Yes, we are able to refer students for an assessment of SpLD with a Specialist Tutor or Educational Psychologist. We have independent assessors who come on site to carry out diagnostic assessments. If necessary, we are also able to refer students to external organisations with whom we have long established links to. For enrolled students referred by ourselves, we currently fund the cost of a diagnostic assessment


Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Yes, in the Disability Advisory Service we have a manager of the Service, a senior disability adviser, 2 mental health disability advisers, 3 disability advisers, 3 assistant disability advisers (ADAs), 1 learning support co-ordinator, 2 learning support tutors and 1 assistive technology support co-ordinator. Students can book confidential appointments with advisers in person, via telephone or Skype. The ADAs are able to respond to general disability related queries and where necessary will refer students to an appropriate member of the team specialising in the area raised. The ADAs offer a drop in at every campus. Students, applicants and visitors are able to contact the team directly or they may contact Student Services and be referred to us as appropriate.


Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

There is a Faculty Disability Liaison person for each faculty. Students may contact them with faculty based queries in relation to their disability. All students are allocated a personal tutor who is responsible for providing pastoral support and who can signpost students to relevant services across the University. Students arrange to meet with their personal tutors at least once a term.

The Disability Advisory Service offers disabled students a King’s Inclusion Plan, a personalised document that will summarise aspects of your disability and how this impacts on your engagement with your studies. It will have recommendations of support strategies that your academic department or central service may implement to support you.

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Following an assessment of needs, the Disability Advisory Service are able to refer students for mentoring support with qualified specialist mentor providers.

King’s has a Counselling Service which includes a team of mental health advisers, counsellors, psychologists, psychotherapists and a consultant psychiatrist. Appointments are free to enrolled students at King’s. The Service offers drop ins, short courses and workshops as well as booked appointments across the year.

King’s offers a Peer Support Programme. This Programme offers an easily accessible and relatively informal opportunity for any students to talk through issues which may be concerning them with a Peers Supporter, an existing student trained by the Counselling Service, with a listening ear and a friendly face. They will signpost students on to relevant Services also.

The Wellbeing Service is available to all students, offering group and one-to-one coaching sessions. With the support of a coach, you will look within yourself to identify goals and create an action plan, promoting self-awareness and positive change. They also run specific events throughout the year and regular opportunities to meet other students over a cup of tea.

Many faculties offer a departmental buddy/peer scheme where existing students pair up with first year students within their department.


Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University? 

We have run a peer support group for students with autistic spectrum conditions and will continue to run this group in future years. We also plan to expand the offer to support the development of other specialist disabled student groups such as for visually impaired students.

The Students’ Union have a number of societies for disabled students and students interested in disability. There is also a Disabled Students’ Association running campaigns and events to promote positive disability awareness.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Yes, we have a number of rooms which are adapted and include specialist equipment. If a student requires specific adaptations they are able to discuss this with King’s Residences team and arrange a visit to the residence.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions? 

Yes we can provide support with arranging One to One specialist study skills sessions if recommended in your assessment of needs.  Our Learning Support Tutor offers study skills based group sessions which run throughout the year with the aim to share ideas and strategies that may benefit students with specific learning difficulties.  we also share study skills resources online.

Library Services have a Study Skills Centre and the English Language Centre both offer individual and group study skills support for all students to access.