Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

Guildhall School of Music & Drama


Disability and mental health support

The disability and mental health advisers, based in the Student Life Centre, co-ordinate support arrangements and resources to enable students with disabilities to benefit fully from their time at Guildhall School of Music & Drama.

Students with long-term health conditions, mental health conditions, physical or sensory impairments and specific learning differences, such as dyslexia are all entitled to support.

Contact Us

Disability and mental health support

Tel:     +44(0)20 7382 7219
Email: student.affairs@gsmd.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?

Yes.  There is currently no charge to enrolled students.

Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?

Highly trained staff are in place to offer appropriate assistance to students with a diversity of needs.  Both the Head of Student Affairs and the Study Skills and Disability Coordinator deal with all aspects of disability and learning difficulty support, including specific learning difficulty assessments (Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD etc.), applications for Disabled Students’ Allowance; study skills advice for all students in essay writing, note taking, planning dissertations, and so on. We also work closely with our specialist Study Support Tutors, academic Heads of Department, Departmental Administrators, the Library Services, Personal Tutors and Instrumental Teachers.


Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

There are specialist tutors who provide academic support and study skills tutorials for students with specific learning difficulties, which are held on a weekly basis in Student Affairs at Sundial Court. Students can make an appointment via email, telephone or in-person. Any student who declares a disability on application or enrolment is automatically sent a welcome letter outlining support available and giving all relevant contact information.

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

Student Affairs have a well-resourced Counselling Team and there are also Mentors available for students within the Student Affairs Team. Various new ‘buddy’ type programmes are being developed currently.


Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University?

Not currently – however we are working on implementing a programme of learning support groups/workshops, in collaboration with academic departments.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Yes. Sundial Court, the School’s hall of residence, is located in Chiswell Street, just around the corner from the Silk Street building. Priority for a place at Sundial Court is given to students with disabilities and/or medical conditions and there is accommodation available that is specifically adapted for students who have limited mobility and those who are wheelchair users.

Student Affairs will notify the Head of Estates and Facilities Management of students’ individual requirements. We encourage students to let us know about any special circumstances at the earliest stage of application, in order that we can prepare for their arrival.

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

We can provide support with arranging One to One and Group study skills sessions.