Higher Educations Institutions iconHigher Education Institutions

Disability Support Search iconDisability Support Search

Glossary icon Glossary

Support Organisations iconSupport Organisations

Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck has a Wellbeing Centre, which provides support for students with disabilities, dyslexia and mental health needs. The Wellbeing Centre can provide advice and support with the Disabled Students’ Allowance and help students complete their study support plan, which informs their department of the assistance they need in lectures, seminars, examinations and assessments (including permission to record lectures, specialist seating, extensions on deadlines and additional time in exams).

Contact Us

Disability and Dyslexia Service :

Text phone: +44 (0)20 7631 6316

Email:           disability@bbk.ac.uk

More provision of support

For more detailed information please click here to view the PDF document.

Main campus

Support we offer

icon Accessible learning spaces

icon  Adapted accommodation

icon Campus tours

icon Specialist knowledge in disability service

icon Support available from academic staff

Additional details about support

Funding for SpLD Assessment

Can a student be referred for a Specific Learning  Differences  (SpLD) Assessment with a Specialist teacher or Educational Psychologist through the University and is there funding available for an SpLD assessment?


Disability Adviser available

Are there specialist staff available to talk to within the service?  Is there a disability officer or a disability adviser for students to talk to?


Support from academic staff

Is advice and support available from academic staff within the faculties of the University?   How do students access this advice and support?

Support can be accessed through the administrators in the faculty

One-to-one mentoring support

Are there any additional services available such as mentoring, counselling services or a buddy scheme to help a new student to settle in if needed?

The Disability and Dyslexia Service provides an orientation event for disabled students within the overall College orientation process.

Specialist Support groups

Are there specialist  support groups  or a disabled  students network available at the University?

In the past, the Student Union have had a disabled students’ group as part of its clubs and societies provision and all students are encouraged to convene a group.

Adapted accommodation in halls

Is adapted accommodation and specialist equipment available in halls of residence?

Birkbeck uses University of London Collegiate Halls who can provide accessible accommodation

One-to-One / Group Study Skills

Does the institution provide support with arranging One to one/Group study skills sessions?

We can provide support with arranging One to One and Group study skills sessions.